Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Blogger's beginnings....



I have had an inherent love of agriculture since I can remember. I raised rabbits, took horseback riding lessons, planted a vegetable garden, and planted perennials. I wasn't raised on a farm however, and had to look for opportunities to cultivate my interests.  I pursued a degree in secondary education from MSU and (luckily) met my future husband who was from a farm, and was happy to continue to encourage my interests and create new endeavors together.  I graduated from MSU and was hired as an Agriscience teacher where I worked for 6 years while my husband worked in his degree field, Landscape Horticulture.  We were presented with the opportunity to purchase the business where he was employed in 2003.  He continues to create customized landscape designs for our clients, as well as supervise the build portion, while I manage our retail garden center, where we offer perennials, shrubs and trees.  We are open for Christmas with locally grown cut trees, potted trees, garland, and custom evergreen wreaths. I teach gardening and project courses at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, and through the Kellogg Manor House at the MSU Biological Station.  From May to October, I am the co-market manager of the Richland Farmers' Market.  This allows us to sell our extra farm produce as well as continue to share my love of agriculture with members of our community.

The goal of my blog is to share gardening methods, tips on raising your own food and being more self sustaining, recipes to use the food that is raised, as well as creative decorations and fun ideas using found items, natural, as well as inexpensive materials.  I hope to share my love of plants, animals and nature with you and to inspire you to incorporate local food into your life, even if it's just in baby steps....

No comments:

Post a Comment